Online registration for first year students
The online registration portal will be opened on Monday 22nd August 2022 AND NOT 12th September 2022 as indicated in the joining instructions.
All new students must register online.
2. Students will undertake Online Registration on the Student Portal – smis.uonbi.ac.ke.
3. New Students are advised to take advantage of the early opening of the portal and ensure that they are registered and ready to report physically for the commencement of the Academic Year on Monday 19th September, 2022 at their respective Faculties.
4. The Joining Instructions must be downloaded and duly filled and completed and the scanned forms uploaded during the online registration.
5. The hardcopy documents of the Joining Instructions will then be submitted by the student to the Faculty during physical reporting on Monday 19th September, 2022.
6. New students will find contact details of their Faculties, the Dean of Students and the Academic Registrar in the Joining Instructions Section 1.3.
The University of Nairobi will commence a new academic year on Monday, September 19, 2022. Applicants who received a formal letter of offer to join the University this academic year 2022/23 are required to complete the registration process online.
The following information outlines all the steps new students need to register successfully:
At the end of this registration process applicants should have:
- Filled out joining forms and uploaded them on the Students Management Information System (SMIS).
- An Active students email account
- Activated the Active Directory (AD Account)
- Paid Fees
- A Student profile
- Received registration confirmation on SMS from the University
- Registered for courses
Applicants can access the University of Nairobi student self–service portal Students Management Information System (SMIS): https://smis.uonbi.ac.ke. To log in, Students will use the log in details sent to them via email; or write to firstname.lastname@example.org (undergraduate students) and email@example.com (postgraduate students) to request for the log in details.
Once an applicant logs in, they are required to download the comprehensive joining Instructions (Academic, Legal and Health Requirements). This document contains important forms that need to be filled out and uploaded on to the system. Print all the forms and fill them out in full as guided (steps 1-22). Scan the filled documents and upload. Please ensure you scan your passport photograph and upload it in the system. Place your request for student ID as detailed in the Joining Instructions document JI/17. The IDs will be availed to the respective Deans’/Directors’ offices once printed for your collection.
Government sponsored students’ checklist for admission registration requirements - KUCCPS 2022 List of students
Self-sponsored/ module II students’ checklist for admission registration requirements
The applicant can then access the fee structure on the system with guidelines on how to pay the prescribed fees. Please note that separate guidelines apply for Government-sponsored (module 1) and Self-sponsored (Module 2).
Once payment is made, students are requested to wait for at least 48 hours then log back into the system to complete the online registration and submit a request for registration. Students can only submit their registration requests once the portal is opened on Monday, September 13, 2021. Applicants will receive an SMS alert once the registration process is confirmed.
Upon confirmation, applicants will then log in to the portal: https://smis.uonbi.ac.ke/ to complete the student profile, fill out all the sections on the table provided and create a student’s email account and an active directory account as guided. Student email accounts are critical, students will ONLY receive official communication from the University on this email address. Students are also required to create an Active Directory Account (AD Account: This account will grant student access to various Online Learning platforms and vast University online resources)
The complete registration process; Register for your courses on the Course registration tab.
Should you experience any challenges during the registration process please contact:
Customer Experience Centre contacts: 0204910000, 0204914112
Technical support: firstname.lastname@example.org
Support email addresses for Faculties
For any queries about undergraduate admissions please contact:
The Academic Registrar, Admissions Office Reception
University of Nairobi, Main Campus
Administration Block, 1st Floor
Tel: (+254-20) 491 0000
Graduate admissions and general correspondence
P.O. Box 30197 00100, NAIROBI
Telephone Number: 020 491 0000
E-mail: General correspondence: email@example.com